Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The stories of children behind bars at Dubai Women’s Prison

A mother and baby in Dubai Women’s Prison
When Ajibade was locked up in a Dubai jail for selling drugs she sentenced her unborn child to a life behind bars. Now aged four, Vicky is among a growing group of children born and raised in the emirate, without having tasted the outside world.

Her daughter is one of dozens of children living in Dubai Women’s Prison because their mother’s committed crimes. The prison’s boss is trying to find ways to for the children to be raised elsewhere.
Ajibade, now 39, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on June 3, 2009, two days after arriving in Dubai. The Nigerian was one month pregnant when she entered Dubai Women’s Prison and eight months later Vicky was born. Now the prison is not only her home but also the only place she has ever been.
“When I go out from here I want to provide her with the best education but the first thing that I want to do is to take her to the beach,” said Ajibade.

She hopes to be pardoned as she has served five years of her sentence. But it is only a hope.
“I want to show her the difference between a beach and zoo. I want to teach her about food as there are many food types she does not know,” Ajibade added tearfully.
Ajibade is aware of the harm she has caused her daughter.
“I was selfish. I was lucky in life, I had an average life, but I was greedy and wanted more.I always feel guilty for her. I have deprived her a lot in life,” she said.
“The most difficult question I face from her is when she sees me handcuffed and asks me why I am like that. I cannot answer her. It is shameful.”

Vicky is increasingly inquisitive the older she gets. Ajibade said she does not know how to answer her daughter’s questions about her situation.
“I am mostly silent. There are no answers.”
The little girl shares a dormitory with her mother and four other prisoners, all of whom have children with them.

“She picks up habits from other inmates and children. There are many bad models here,” said Ajibade. “She is always fighting with others over the few toys they have available.”
In spite of all the hardships, Vicky is experiencing, Ajibade is convinced that her daughter’s situation would have been worse if she was separated from her.

“I wish she was outside but the advantages of her being with me are more than the disadvantages. Nobody would have wanted to take care of her. “If she was not with me I would have been crazy and scared for her life.”

HOPE for A FUTURE:Jennifer delivered her baby behind bars – now the Filipino inmate fears he’ll never get to sample life outside. Her son, Arnel, was born after she was sentenced to one month in jail. They remain locked up due to an unsettled debt.

“I had not imagined in my life that I would deliver a baby in the prison,” said Jennifer, 42. “I do not want my child to be brought up here. I do not want him to grow up not knowing what an apple is.”
Jennifer was jailed in March last year for violating immigration rules but still cannot leave the prison as she has a civil case registered against her and she needs to pay Dhs61,000 to be released.

“I am terrified of the thought that I might spend the rest of my life here with this boy. There is no chance I will be able to get the money needed for my release,” said Jennifer, crying with her baby in her lap. She says she had helped her mother’s friend to rent out a flat in her name and the family friend decided to leave the country in the middle of the contract, defaulting on rent and leaving Jennifer liable for the debt. Jennifer found out that she was pregnant after being jailed and her baby was born in September 2013.

“When my baby came I started to see hope. Half of me is getting stronger because of him but also the other half is getting weaker when I feel sorry for him,” she said.
Arnel is suffering from asthma and has been hospitalised several times.
“The children all cry together. Children here play with plastic bottles and wraps of biscuits,” she said. “To say that it breaks my heart to see him here is an underestimation.”

Jennifer is not sure whether she will send her child away to the outside world if she has to spend many years in prison, and if she gets the chance.
“For now I do not want to think.” Jennifer has three children aged 20, 12 and 10 years, who currently live with her aunt in the Philippines.
“My aunt is ill, she is paralysed and I am not sure for how long she can take care of my other children,” she said. “My life is destroyed because of this mistake. My children might end up on the streets.

“I feel guilty for Arnel as I should have been more responsible and careful but I also sometimes feel angry because of the injustice I have fallen victim to in a way.” Jennifer looks at her son and surges between despair and hope.

She said: “I sometimes feel there is no hope, but then I wish I could meet with the landlord I would fall down on my knees and beg him to drop the case. I pray someone who has a good heart can help us give me and my kids another chance.”

Courtesy:7DAYS

No comments:

Post a Comment